Academic Officer 20/21 - Tommaso Squeri
As Academic Lead for the 2020-21 Committee, I work in collaboration with the Co-Presidents and Vice President to run our fortnightly Neuronatter journal club and widen the interest in the academic aspects of neurosurgery. This year we’re excited to announce a new format for our journal club: we’re introducing workshops to help students enhance their critical appraisal skills, inviting external guests to discuss pioneering research and designing a new thematic journey that will allow our students to explore a wide spectrum of areas within neuroscience. With the medical profession shifting more and more towards a science-driven approach, the Academic team is at the forefront of widening the engagement of medical students with the academic community, promoting interest in clinical and basic research within the fascinating world of neurosurgery.
KCL Neurosurgery Society holds fortnightly “Neuronatter” sessions (journal club).
Term 1: September 2020 – December 2020
Term 2: January 2021 – March 2021
Term 3: March 2021 – May 2021
What is it?
- Student-led journal club to improve your critical appraisal skills and interest in academic/clinical research within neuroscience, neurology and neurosurgery
When is it?
- Tuesdays Fortnightly
How is this unique from other journal clubs?
- We run informal discussion-led sessions and provide the articles which will be discussed a week before each session.
- Throughout the session, there are regular opportunities to ask any questions and discuss interesting concepts.
How will this be held?
- For the first term, we will be holding sessions online. We will be uploading a link 2 weeks prior each session on our Facebook group, Twitter, Instagram pages and on this webpage.
- If you would like to present article(s) on a particular subject or topic, do get into contact with us.
- You will be given a “Guide to Presenting” booklet, if you would like a structure – otherwise, you have complete freedom in presenting any article with discussion points for the relevant topic/theme.
- Link to registration form
- Letter to the Editor/Critical Appraisal Workshop
Previous Neuronatter Session
- After each Neuronatter Session, we upload points of discussion as a virtual poster in this section.
If you would like more information on attending these sessions, or would like to present a session or suggest new ideas, feel free to contact us on this contact form or email email@example.com directly.